- 1/2 Giddy Yoyo chocolate bar*
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or high power blender.
- 2. You may need to scrape down the sides a few times.
- 3. Eat immediately as a soft serve or pudding or put into a bowl with a lid into the freezer for at least one hour for a firmer ice cream.
- *Original, Vanilla Salt, Sweet Vanilla, Chai Spice, and Extra Dark are all great options!
Bridgitte gave us some amazing reasons Giddy Yoyo’s chocolate kicks the pants off any other chocolate – especially the usuals you pick up at the pharmacy or grocery store. Here are some highlights:
- Great for people with food allergies and sensitivities: All Giddy Yoyo products are free of common allergens: no gluten, dairy, soy, peanuts, or tree nuts (with the exception of coconut). Interestingly, chocolate is often found in the top 5-10 most common allergy/sensitivities lists but it’s not because of a cocoa allergy. Chocolate has to be fermented as part of the processing and this can often go wrong. Mishandled or bad batches of cocoa beans can easily form mold like aflotoxin and it’s these molds/fungi that people most often react to. Giddy Yoyo holds itself to high standards and has rigorous testing throughout the production process.
- High Quality Sugar: It’s a real thing! In addition to having less sugar per square of chocolate than what you generally find on the shelf, the sugar Giddy Yoyo uses isn’t refined. That means it retains all of the naturally occurring minerals found in raw sugar cane.
- Antioxidant Status: Chocolate – especially dark chocolate – has been touted as an amazing source of antioxidants. Giddy Yoyo’s chocolate packs an even more powerful punch as they source only heirloom varieties of cacao instead of cacao from hybridized plants. Hybrids often prioritize yield over flavor and nutrient status where heirloom varieties are the opposite.
- Amazing Appetite Regulator: The dream is real: chocolate is great for weight issues! Because the nutrient status is so high and the sugar content is so low and the body recognizes the high quality ingredients used in this bar as real food instead of synthetic crap, the body can actually use chocolate as fuel and energy. In fact, chocolate has an amazing ability to regulate metabolism and appetite – speeding it up or slowing it down as needed.
So let’s eat chocolate! We asked if Giddy Yoyo would ever consider making an ice cream – unfortunately they said no. BUT while Giddy Yoyo doesn’t see an ice cream on their horizon, we took it upon ourselves to find a healthy ice cream recipe using Giddy Yoyo chocolate.
- 2 red or golden beets, sliced into wedges
- 2 onions, sliced in to wedges
- 2-6 cloves of garlic, smashed*
- 1 apple, sliced into wedges
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 heaping tbsp of tahini
- Dash of cayenne
- Salt to taste
- Sesame oil and pomegranate seeds or sunflower seeds (optional, for garnish)**
- 1. Place beets, onions, garlic, apple and coconut oil in a 9X13 roasting pan.
- 2. Roast for 1 hour at 350.
- 3. Blend roasting pan contents with tahini, cayenne and salt. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- 4. Drizzle with sesame oil and top with pomegranate seeds (if using).
- 5. Serve warm or cold with slices of toasted sourdough (ancient grain if possible) bread or with Mary’s Herb Crackers for a gluten free option.
- *If you love garlic, go for all 6 cloves. If not less is fine, too.
- **Sunflower seeds are great if you use red beets and pomegranate seeds are a nice contrast to the golden beets.
Until next time,
Get personalized health advice and fast track your health!