As a nutritionist, I know: it all comes down to digestion. We went into detail about why digestion is so important in our Digestion 101 series, and now we’re sharing this Digestion Supporting Salad. With ingredients that promote digestive health from start to finish, this salad is obviously healthy. But the combination of flavors is absolutely delicious! Here’s a bit more on this recipe’s all stars:
- Kale: Kale is a member of the brassica family and as such has a high sulfur content, which is great for the liver. If you’ve ever eaten raw kale, it takes a bit of chewing. Because digestion starts in the mouth, kale is a great way to kick off the entire digestive process.
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon Juice: Both of these amazing and inexpensive liquids stimulate the production of Hydrochloric Acid (HCl) in the stomach. Without HCl, we have difficulty digesting proteins and food ferments in our stomach, leading to acid reflux and gas (among other things).
- Garlic and Onions: These foods are two more sulfur superstars and do a lot to support the liver. Both garlic and onions also contain a compound called allicin, which helps to flush out the digestive tract.
- Miso and Kimchi: The good bacteria in these fermented foods work wonders on reducing bowel gas and recolonizing the good bacteria in the colon. To make sure you reap all the probiotic benefits, buy miso and kimchi that says “live active culture” on the label.
- Chia Seeds: These tiny seeds are famous for their anti-inflammatory Omega-3s, which are great for combating intestinal discomfort. They are also LOADED with fiber – just two tablespoons a day is nearly 1/3 the daily fiber recommendation.
- Radishes Cucumber: Digestion basics = fiber and water. Radishes and cucumber have both! Aside from drinking water, another great way to hydrate is to eat fruits and vegetables with high water content. Digestion Supporting Salad2016-03-24 12:41:19Serves 4Write a review918 calories24 g195 g53 g86 g7 g649 g807 g3 g0 g36 gNutrition FactsServing Size649gServings4Amount Per ServingCalories 918Calories from Fat 469% Daily Value *Total Fat 53g81%Saturated Fat 7g36%Trans Fat 0gPolyunsaturated Fat 11gMonounsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 195mg65%Sodium 807mg34%Total Carbohydrates 24g8%Dietary Fiber 8g31%Sugars 3gProtein 86gVitamin A370%Vitamin C213%Calcium28%Iron28%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.For the Dressing
For the Salad
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp white Miso
- 1/4 cup Kimchi with liquid
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Water as needed, to thin
For the Dressing
- 6 cups curly Kale, roughly chopped
- 4 cooked salmon filets, flaked
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1 English cucumber, cut into half-moons
- 4 radishes, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- Miso-Kimchi dressing
betacalories918fat53gprotein86gcarbs24gmoreWhole Life Balance https://wholelifebalance.com/
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- 2. Blend until smooth.
- 3. Add water if too thick.
Did this recipe transform your digestion? Tell us about it in the comments!
Until next time,
Get personalized health advice and fast track your health!